Permits, Visas & Red Tape

We want to make it easy for you to come to Denmark and experience our first-class education. But obviously you have to go through the mandatory process providing relevant documents to qualify.

Do I need a Visa?

A visa is issued for the purpose of a short stay of less than 3 months in Denmark and other Schengen countries.

Foreign nationals who are required a visa to enter Denmark and who intend to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months must apply for a residence permit prior to arriving in Denmark. Please note that if you apply for a residence permit and visa at the same time, your visa application will be turned down.

If you have been granted certain types of residence or re-entry permits in another Schengen country, you do not need a visa to enter Denmark. Read more about residence permits issued by another Schengen country. These types of residence permits are not valid for entry into the Faroe Islands or Greenland.

Residence permits for non-EU/EEA citizens

As a non-EU/EAA citizen you can be granted a Danish residence permit to study in Denmark.

To be granted a residence permit, you must prove in writing that:

  • You have been accepted as a student to a higher education course/programme at a university, college or institute that has been approved by the Danish government
  • You are either completing an entire educational programme offered by a Danish institution of higher learning or are a visiting/guest student attending part of a programme that you have already commenced in your country of residence
  • You can support yourself financially for the duration of your stay. (Please note: foreign students do not usually receive state grants or benefits in Denmark. If you make a false claim for such assistance, your residence permit may be revoked and you risk deportation)
  • You have paid in advance for at least the first semester of your course if tuition fees apply.
  • You can speak and understand at least one of the following languages: Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German

How to apply for a student residence permit?

Be careful when filling out your application. An incorrectly completed form could jeopardise your chances of success. The process is as follows:

  • First, a representative of the educational institution in Denmark will complete section two of the application form, attach the required documents and send it to you.
  • Next, complete section one of the application form and attach your own supporting documents.
  • Submit the application in its entirety at the nearest Danish embassy or general consulate in your home country. It will then be forwarded to the Danish Immigration Service for processing.

Registration certificate for EU/EEA-Swiss citizens

As an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss national, you may stay in Denmark for up to three months without a residence permit. If you work while you are here, you can stay up to six months. But if you want to stay longer, you will need either a registration certificate (for EU/EEA citizens) or a residence card (for Swiss nationals).

Unlike a residence permit issued under the Danish Aliens Act, these documents are merely proof of your existing rights under EU rules on the free movement of people and services.

How to obtain a registration certificate?

The residence permit or card may be obtained from the Regional State Administration (Statsforvaltningen) within three months upon your arrival in Denmark. Bring your passport, two passport photos and your ‘Letter of Admission’. A Note that it may take up to three weeks to process your application and issue your permit. You must obtain your residence permit in order to register with the Danish Civil Registration and be covered by Danish Health Insurance.

Regulations for Nordic citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to reside, study and work in Denmark. Visas, residence permits and work permit are not required. You can even enter Denmark without a passport. However, you must be able to identify yourself if required – for example, if you are staying in a hotel or at a campsite. Your driver’s licence or credit card is sufficient.

Enter Name:

Enter Email:

Do you have any query

Please contact us

Study in Denmark